View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
LaTeX is designed to produce prints, as in DVI or PDF, with a fixed page and font size. Documents are often optimized for that size only, e.g. when there is a hyphenation problem with your current size settings, people define custom hyphenation or adapt rules until it fits the current layout. Changing the layout or size might break your document.

Thus LaTeX for eBooks suffers from pretty much the same problems as does PDF. If you have a LaTeX source you have to convert it to HTML, and there are few LaTeX->HTML converters that actually work. I usually end up adapting the TeX source for the converter (remove headers/footers and similar decorations).

I've had some good results using plastex for the conversion step, once the source was adapted accordingly. However only with books, I didn't try any math formula or illustrations.

Of course if a fixed font size actually is what you want, you can use LaTeX to produce very nice PDFs that will fit your reader screen - set the paper size accordingly using the geometry package, select a font size, then fix all layout problems that might be occuring, and you're good.

Last edited by frostschutz; 01-21-2012 at 04:57 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote