View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
mishaparem
mishaparem began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Kindle PW1 project

Hello Kindlers,

I just bought a used PW1, unfortunately the firmware is on 5.6.x, so I think I have to use the serial port to root and jailbreak it. In my pursuit of doing that, I opened up the PW1, and found that it's pretty empty inside. While I was trying to figure out how exactly to solder in a serial connection, I grabbed some parts from my stockpile of old android phones, and put this together:

Picture attached to post as a file

It's the Kindle PW1 in the background, replaced the stock kindle 3.7V 1420mAh battery with a Samsung SCH-i515 Galaxy Nexus 3.7V 1850 mAh battery with an integrated wireless charging circuit, and put in the motherboard and camera from an old Motorola MB810 Droid. To my amazement, it all fit within length and width dimensions of the Kindle PW1. There are still a few accessories from the Droid left to place in the arrangement, and I have to work out the wiring on the battery and charging circuit(s), maybe I'll have to add an additional battery, and just keep them separate, but there's plenty of space for all of that. If I mill down the metal structure in the Kindle, then the kindle will get a little thicker, but it will still be thinner than some of my 7in tablets, and it will have a battery life time longer than any of them, and more capabilities than a stock Kindle after I'm done jailbreaking it, and hooking it to the android via VNC.

I think I just found my ultimate travel companion....

Edit: I may have posted a little too soon, I first need to verify if the droid will run without the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0129152153.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	134347  

Last edited by mishaparem; 01-30-2015 at 12:45 PM.
mishaparem is offline   Reply With Quote