View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I'm just going off of my understanding of how wholesale prices and royalty calculations are typically set.

But let's accept your assumptions. In a revised reseller model with lower cover prices, in order for Amazon to make any profit the wholesale price on a brand-new release would need to be under $10:

$8 cover/wholesale price
$10 Amazon's price
$1.60 royalty rate (20% of the wholesale price / Macmillan's net)

In this scenario, it's unclear if Macmillan can still earn a profit, as the cover / wholesale price would need to be cut by nearly 65% in order for Amazon to just break even. I'm pretty sure that would wind up having an effect on royalties.

Overall though, I still think no one really knows the full effects of these changes, and unfortunately experimentation is likely in order. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote