Thread: Homer's Odyssey
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Homer's Odyssey

I'm a compulsive reader of contemporary fiction, who has generally struggled with "The Classics". It's a question of style, rathat than content or comprehension - I just find most classical translations are a slog, rather than a pleasure to read. That said, I recently completed (and mostly enjoyed) Samuel Butler's translation of The Iliad. Next step, The Odyssey!

However, I have recently been totally blown away by Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles, and that set me wondering whether there might be a translation out there that's suited to my reading tastes.

I know this is an easy question to ask and almost impossible to answer blind, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for a translation that a reader of contemporary fiction (both genre and literary) is likely to find amenable. I guess I'm looking for a version in a modern prose style, but that's about as far as I've got. All suggestions gratefully received!

TIA,
Ian
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote