View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-t1
Thanks for your help! A lot of great information here. I did define my needs as clearly and consisely as I could without getting into details. Each of those listed is on my "needs" list for a practical reader. As a teacher, I really want a work device more than "just a simple reader"--the notes, etc. are very important factors for me. I have no problem with the multiple languages, etc. as that is what I do and my books here are equally distributed.

I guess I need to research the note exportation because that cannot be "tested" in a store and no one here seems to know if it works with one or the other. When I read, I often need to make notes and it would be most practical to be able to export the notes (via usb or so--doesn't have to be wifi) to my PC instead of retyping everything into onenote--just looking to "smooth" the workflow for me pulling me away from my PC.

Ironically, Linz is not as accessible to me as Munich--so Munich is the city of choice (but thanks for the tip--it would give me a reason to visit my friends). But yet the problem remains getting BOTH of them here in one store--have you seen them both in Saturn? I am more sceptical about finding the Kobo.

I intentionally stated that I am not necessarily looking for bookstore recommendations or how to buy through amazon. Stores are of no consequence to me here--especially amazon--as I don't want the whole proxy thing (been there, done that, done with that--and yes, it can be VERY problematic with ip addresses, etc.). I do not want anyone else on my account, even family. No, I actually don't have an American credit card. Why would I? I spend less than 3 weeks in the States a year and it is not "easier" for me (not much of a "charge it" girl--I live on what I make and use my card here). Most of my ex-patriot friends who are completely integrated here don't seem to have them either--nor an American bank account. I am one of the "ex-patriots" who has spent more of their life here than in the States and is therefore not tied to the USA except through family--who I purposefully do not financially tie to me (even per address). LOVE the gift card idea and it is one of the benefits of going electronic--thank you for letting me know it works well!

When I am looking for how or where to buy, I know I can post here and get great help.This is, however, a non-issue for me. It frustrates me that no matter what is said--people always come back to how to work amazon. Sorry for the rant, but I really don't care about discussing amazon here--just the practical firmware and software differences between the kobo and the sony or if anyone else has another suggestion for any reason.

So far I have heard= the sony is great and more have them; the sony "does too much" (whatever that means); the kobo is a great simple reader for basic reading (no mention as to whether it does what I am looking for); it all comes down to what I feel. Unfortunately, several of my requests had to do with things one cannot determine by a quick play-around in a store. Guess I just have to keep waiting for the person who knows about note exportation capabilities.

At least I know that I am not missing any device that is not in the "top 5"--except the sony 650 which was mentioned (makes me curious why....)

Thank you for your responses
Krystl is offline   Reply With Quote