View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #25
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'm rather playing "catch-up" now as a result of my absences.

I'm impressed so far with the wonderful sculpted style of Vera Brittain in the first section of the book dealing with her early life. She not only has a marvellous command of the precise syntax favoured in the Edwardian and Georgian periods but also skilfully conveys emotional registers--such as anger at the stereotypical patterns forced on women. But I noted too an endearing ability to look back with a wry humour at her younger self.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote