View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I have a rooted nook and am quite happy with it

If you are comparing the devices as is without price into the equation. The Tab is a far superior device. It has a more modern OS 2.2 and is a full version, not stripped down (with the exception of phone features) and tailored for eReading. It has a faster processor and more ram memory. It has more inputs, it has a camera. The screen quality on both is about the same but the Samsung has Gorilla Glass(very scratch resistant screen). The screen sensitivity is better on the Samsung. It has a better graphics card. It has bluetooth enabled. Has WIFI and 3G. It has a working market and access to more apps than the rooted nook. The Tab is slightly bigger (same screen size though) but much lighter. Batter life on both is about the same. Samsung has a working Cut-n-Paste ... you never now how much you need this until it's missing.

The nookColor commnity has been working hard to add these features to the nook, some stuff is working great, some stuff is patch and others is work in progress.

For instance the market is fully working and so are most android apps. However for some reason not all the apps show up on the nook market.

Personally I'm not a fan of the B&N reader. I think the Moon+, and Aldiko 2.0 readers are much better readers than the B&N reader Aldiko also supports Adobe DRM. I also prefer the Kindle to the B&N reader, but that is because the default kindle layout is what I like. If I wanted to change the layout I would be out of luck on the kindle. That is not the case with Moon+ and Aldkio you have complete control over the margins, background color, font color, font size, margin. The B&N reader gives you the more options than the kindle but is very selective on the choices they give and for some odd reason their night mode has a gray background and gray fonts it makes it really hard to read at night.

If price is of concern and you don't mind tinkering with the nookColor then this device becomes much more attractive. As a surfing/reading device the nook is a great device. That is primary how I use it and love it for this. I'll admit when I'm trying to do productive work like write and multitask the nook often frustrates me. However when I'm just reading and surfing the web the nook is great.

I'm hoping that nookie (community developed OS based on Froyo 2.2) becomes stable enough to use real soon. At which that point I will format my existing NC to use that OS instead of the butchered nook os.

=X=

So the Moon+ and aldkio are apps where I can read all of my books, sideloaded and B&N? Or would I have to use separate apps for different books. That is my main question as I would mostly use the device for reading, and use it occasionally for browsing, etc... I like it with a brown background and ivory font for night reading. Isn't that what the NC uses? I used to use those choices for my phone with the mobi app.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote