View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
blaenk
Connoisseur
blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
calibre and the new kindle layout engine

I remember reading that Amazon has/had to go through its library to re-generate their books to take advantage of the new layout engine that they are going to be releasing. Do you guys think this is simply a matter of inserting hyphenation markers, for example? Does Calibre already do this? Or do you guys think that they added something to their formats (e.g. AZW3) specifically for this new layout engine? If so, Calibre would have to reverse engineer that in order to leverage the new layout engine in its AZW3 output plugin, I imagine.

Basically I'm wondering if those of us who use Calibre-generated, side-loaded books will miss out on the new kindle layout engine. If Calibre already does do hyphenation, then we'll at least have that, assuming they're using the same hyphenation system, but I wonder if they're doing some other things as well. In the worst case, if they are doing something special underneath, in the meantime we could probably have Calibre delegate to kindlegen for AZW3 generation, which presumably would include those changes/features.

I guess we'll see when it comes out. Hopefully people report their findings.
blaenk is offline   Reply With Quote