Thread: GPL violation?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #162
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
It does not matter whether the software was distributed. Bookeen have to provide full source code & toolchain (if not available with the operating system) along with the instruction how to re-create binaries.

If they have modified source code, they have to provide patches. If they did not, they have to provide links to exact versions of software they compiled and distributed. Full stop.

I'm rather sure that the Cybook is nothing but a Netronix EB-100. Having both now, I can compare them side-by-side. I also have the customs declaration of the Netronix and in it they specifically call the hardware by the internal part number "Bookeen ED060KB" as well as by the reference "EB0100". Looking at my Cybook Gen3, I note on the back a label with the part number "ED060KB2". Also, when I first attached my EB-100 to my WinPC on Tuesday, Windows declared itself to have found a new "Cybook" on the USB port I was using.

If this is the case, then I can only say that there's a good chance that Bookeen bought a developer's package from Netronix in order to gain access to the SDK and that part and parcel of that developer's package may well be a legal document requiring them to not freely distribute anything included in the SDK to others outside the firm - but I don't *KNOW* this to be true. However, I could always find out if I bought one of the developer's packages myself. I'm not flush with the money needed (They run about $3,000.) or I would do so. Until someone does do so, it's pretty much worthless to discuss as we don't have all the facts.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote