View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #15185
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
[...]And I'll jump into a new fantasy series/book now. Any recommendation? It's been a while since... oh I forgot the last time I read good fantasy
It's such a wide open field - but seeing that pdurrant offered at least one that I consider a classic ("Magician"), I thought I'd suggest two other "classic" recommendations if you haven't tried them before:

David Eddings' series The Belgariad (5 books, first is "Pawn of Prophecy") and the sequel The Malloreon (5 books). Light, easy reading, what these days would probably be published as young adult, but fun with good touches of humour. (Though I suggest you stop at those ten books and ignore "Belgarath the Sorcerer" and "Polgara the Sorceress". Nor is this a recommendation for Eddings in general, just that particular series.)

At the other end of the scale are The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen Donaldson - first book of the trilogy is "Lord Foul's Bane". Immense, serious, and spectacular ... but it's one of those love-hate things. Some people really don't like them, but I still think the series, including what follows after, are some of the best fantasy I've ever read. (I've not read the ebook versions of these, but from what I heard, early releases had issues, I presume they've been tidied up since.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote