View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Otco,
I'm not sure why the epub would be such a bad idea, as long as the creator realizes the limitations of ereaders.
Bob
Hi Bob.... Making picture books for ePub right now is like tiling a bathroom. You can pick the size tiles to suit your bathroom but if you try the same tiles in your neighbour's bathroom they don't fit and because they all get tipped into your neighbours bathroom and don't fit they end up everywhere except where you want them. That what happens with pictures unless you get very particular with code for individual devices. (Gawd I hope that makes some sense )

Your book on my Mac in Digital Editions is oriented CCW 90°. Bummer too. Because half the image is missing on my 21" monitor. You said they were formatted for 6" screens. Aim for 72dpi. The screen varies from device to device. With Apple you can have images large and it will size to fit. With Digital Editions you need to code the CSS for the size you want.

But you are in luck if you want to limit your audience to the ipad/phone/touch. New (hated by lots) iBooks has a format for just what you are doing.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120744

That will work. But if you want to please everyone (phone readers as well) I can't see any other way around it other than making all your pictures no more than 450 pixels wide and informing readers to lock reading devices that auto orient to horizontal.
Another thought. I don't think owners of 6" grey scale e-readers are your target audience mate.
Colour tablets (as mentioned) and web sites I would think would be more promising.
I think Dixie Girl's "Bad Idea" comment may not be far from the mark if you are trying to bring these picture to a wide audience.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote