Thread: Classic Nook 1.5 Update Confirmed
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #65
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
As an aside. I do not understand why people feel they should keep hundreds or even thousands of non-B&N books on their Nook. All my non-B&N books (more than 2000) are archived on my PC. I keep some 10 to 20 non-B&N books on my Nook as the next books that I want to read.
Because some of us like to be whimsical about entertainment. There is nothing more amazing to me than being thousands of miles from home and still having everything I'd ever want to read right at my fingertips. At any rate, I for one don't expect B&N to do anything about this. Haven't you ever been reading something and thought of that one obscure book in the back of your shelf that you hadn't read in 10 years and had this overwhelming desire to read it immediately? At any rate, you were very careful to add "non-B&N books" to all your sentences. Why do you keep more than a handful of B&N books on the nook then? Why not just archive everything but a handful?

Of course, since they feel justified in playing these foolish marketing games, I feel equally justified in doing everything I can (and hang the legality - short of piracy of course) to organize my ebooks my way.

Also, if the B&N yahoos had a modicum of sense, they wouldn't be so short-sighted about this issue. Forcing customers to buy ebooks from them (or face a crippled book reader) is costing them future customers by the ton. Clearly, they have no confidence in their products or pricing to believe that customers would continue to buy from them without these weaselly tactics. Strange, considering that they're pretty good (not perfect) about matching Amazon's prices book for book. After price-comparisons, I would probably have decided to buy from B&N more often than not. As it is, I don't appreciate being forced into things so I'll be deliberately not buying from them. And I know I'm not alone in this.

It's really sad, they could have cleaned out the market if they'd just played their cards right. They could have been Google to Amazon's Microsoft (only when it comes to ebooks - I have no complaints with Amazon in other respects). But they had to get all paranoid and insecure and throw it all away.

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 10-22-2010 at 08:08 PM.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote