View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
The background color looks really dark, compared to kindle 3. And the screen looks very reflective as well. By the look of the screenshots, the contrast is not as good as kindle.

I have a lot of reservation about this new reader. Iriver hasn't even fixed the problems with the original reader.
I would have said similar things, Greenapple, on both counts.

Silv, many thanks for the review. Very interesting to hear so much detail. I'm not interested in getting a Cover Story myself; the size and shape of the EB01 were some of the things that specifically attracted me to it. (If I were to buy a new Story, it would be the EB03, but only for the higher-spec screen.)

I'm not surprised to hear about the inaccuracy of the touchscreen on the Cover Story. I have an iRiver MP3 player as well (the B30) - its features and supported formats are great, the quality of its sound output is awesome, but its controls are in its touchscreen, and on that device too the touchscreen is unreliable and imprecise. It often misinterprets commands, even when I'm really careful about the placement of my fingers on the screen.

Is this a recurring iRiver thing, I wonder? Do they not buy a high-enough grade of touchscreens?

Oh and Greenapple, you probably won't be surprised to hear that the firmware on the B30 is incomplete too, with shortcomings in the menu design and some outright bugs. (And the same line-break issues in TXT files and the menus that the EB01 has.) And now I read that the B30 has been discontinued, so I guess it will never be fixed.

We've been spoiled by some big multinationals into assuming products will keep being developed even after they're launched on the market, but a lot of companies seem to stay lean and competitive by not operating that way. So much for competition always benefitting the consumer, eh?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote