View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #31
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Itunes songs are not drm protected any more. I just bought some songs yesterday and they are all over the house laptops and what not...
But I do agree with you that a lot of people have not even heard of Calibre, do not know they can remove drm or even that there is drm on the books they "bought"...but once they by chance find out - wanting to buy another reader, to borrow a ebook from a friend or what have you - then thanks to google they can find info on everything in just about an hour or so...Speaking from experience...
Well, I stand corrected! Looks like Apple abandoned DRM a while ago. Last I remember hearing was when they introduced a DRM-less option that cost more. I remember talking to all kinds of people, back in the day of Apple DRM music who didn't even know there was DRM on it. As you say, that's likely the case with many e-book buyers now.

As for the world of book DRM, format converting, etc, I think you'd be surprised to find how little people dig into stuff. For example, my friend vaguely knows that things can be done, but won't even consider loading a public-domain book I sent her into her Kindle. There are people who will bump up against the limitations and just shrug and decide that what they have works good enough. There will be the few that take the plunge, those who want to get the most out of their reader and their library. Here we are, after all. It's something of a hobby for us, but we're not normal.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote