View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 02:19 AM   #38
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But chances are that if you buy a new device, you'll get the new firmware or the user will update the firmware. So either way, you'll get the new firmware and be disappointed.
Maybe so, but in this case, the Inkpad was packaged up with the version 4 firmware, and you had to do an update to go to version 5. The one I bought still has the version 4 firmware. Perhaps a new production run might come with version 5, but I'm not so sure. PocketBook put a version 4 firmware download on their website due to popular demand.

My feelings are mixed about the device. The contrast and sharpness are poorer than on my older Touch Lux (with 6" screen). Perhaps the frontlight and touch layers have to be thicker on a larger screen. However, the high resolution seems to make up for it, making even thin fonts easy to read. The most annoying thing is that every once in a while the last page ghosts through very strongly, as if the flashing clear was only half done. Most of the time the ghosting is no worse than on any other e-ink device of mine. There's no way I want to give it back, so I guess I'm happy with it on the whole.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote