View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #166
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I follow you that it sucks to be prisoner to DRM and content rights agreements. I had something like 15 or 20% of my books not transfer over.

But I still think Sony has done as good a job as I could expect them to based on their commercial realities. My minimum expectation is that a vendor would give me enough time to download any purchases and Sony not only did that, they also did an automated transfer for me to a new book store.

And on top of that I was able to keep my existing Kobo account and merge libraries (though my Sony books don't show up in my Kobo apps for some reason).

They couldn't possibly spend money to keep the store running just so an ever diminishing user base could download their existing purchases once in a while. And it would be cost prohibitive in administrative and licensing costs to make sure every single book they ever offered was made available for sale on a competitor's store (don't forget that Sony and Kobo are still competitors in some markets).

I think they already went above and beyond in their handling of this situation.

Unfortunately I guess some of their customer service staff let them down. And maybe their PR and communications people should have properly set expectations for how many books would transfer.

As an aside, one of the reasons I like epub as a format is that not only can I de-DRM easily, but also I can deconstruct/store/edit to my heart's content using only easily available tools without having to rely on any manufacturer or publisher. So big props to Sony from me for going epub.
Can't argue with what you've written. It is interesting that they transferred the helm over to another retailer rather than just closing. (I say interesting, rather than kudos, because I'm thinking money must have changed hands somewhere like Kobo buying Sony's customer base. If creditable news comes out that Sony did that out of their own pocket, then it is to Sony's credit.)

But since Sony was first in and had a better product, they also have themselves to blame for not capturing the market... The market was Sony's to lose, and they did lose it despite having superior hardware (IMVHO.)

But, I'm done with it... I did in fact replace my 650's battery, but to answer the thread topic's question, I am now a Nook user and have not lost anything thanks to the advice of other forum users.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote