View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Buying ebooks out of region?

Hi, all.

First off, I'm not trying to find a way to steal/pirate ebooks outright.

In January, Barnard Werber's english translation of <i>Empire of the Ants</i> was released on amazon.co.uk in ebook format (http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/edition...48167319#popup). However, it is only available to UK customers, and is unavailable from Canada.

This novel was one of my favourites growing up, and I was really excited to get an ebook copy for myself, but it looks like that isn't possible unless I'm willing to uproot myself and move to the UK to purchase it (I'm not).

Is there any way to get around this restriction, or "trick" amazon into thinking I live in the UK so that I can buy this book? I know this request seems pretty shady, but I'm not looking to pirate the book - I'm willing to pay for it, and while I get that having an ebook published worldwide presents legal problems and whatnot for publishers, its frustrating to get so close to being able to get a childhood favourite, only to get screwed by a regional restriction.

Funny/Ironic aside: The last time it happened was when I wanted to buy "Larry's Party" by Canadian Author Carol Shields, but couldn't because I live in Canada!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote