Thread: Calibre2Web
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That is how I am using my current calibre2web VBScript based program. I run it on a PC to generate a set of static catalogs which are then hosted (together with the eBooks) under a web server on my NAS box. I can then access those catalogs using Stanza on my iPhone either over my home LAN, or remotely via a 3G network. Currently I have about 2000 books in the library so having good remote navigation around them and on-demand download is extremely convenient.

The python variant I am now working on will be capable of acting as CGI style code, dynamically generating catalog pages on demand, thus avoiding the need to pre-generate the static catalogs which should be much more effecient. It will also provide search capabilities which cannot be done with static catalogs. I still intend to leave in the ability to also generate the static catalogs for those who cannot run python based CGI programs on their NAS box/ Web server.

I was intending the Python variant to provide basically the same catalog structure as the VBScript generated static catalogs provide which was why I am interested in feedback on whether others think the current catalog structure is useful/appropriate
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote