View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #41
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
That word perplexed me too. Since it is also used in the chapter title, then I think you have to deduce its meaning from the context of the message of that chapter. I found this suggestion from a google search. Seems plausible to me.

http://www.trollope-apollo.com/?p=2776
Thanks for that. It does make sense actually. Especially coupled with this from the Wikipedia entry for Trollope:

Quote:
. . .

Move to Ireland

In 1841, an opportunity to escape offered itself. A postal surveyor's clerk in central Ireland was reported as being incompetent and in need of replacement. The position was not regarded as a desirable one at all; but Trollope, in debt and in trouble at his office, volunteered for it; and his supervisor, William Maberly, eager to be rid of him, appointed him to the position.[7]

Trollope based himself in Banagher, County Offaly, with his work consisting largely of inspection tours in Connacht. Although he had arrived with a bad character from London, his new supervisor resolved to judge him on his merits; by Trollope's account, within a year he had the reputation of a valuable public servant.[8] His salary and travel allowance went much farther in Ireland than they had in London, and he found himself enjoying a measure of prosperity.[7] He took up fox hunting, which he pursued enthusiastically for the next three decades. His professional role as a post-office surveyor brought him into contact with Irish people, and he found them pleasant company: "The Irish people did not murder me, nor did they even break my head. I soon found them to be good-humoured, clever—the working classes very much more intelligent than those of England—economical and hospitable."[8]

At the watering place of Kingstown, Trollope met Rose Heseltine,[8] the daughter of a Rotherham bank manager.[6] They became engaged when he had been in Ireland for a year; because of Trollope's debts and her lack of a fortune, they were unable to marry until 1844. Soon after their marriage, Trollope transferred to another postal district in the south of Ireland, and the family moved to Clonmel.[8]
. . .