View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #44
kraqh3d
kraqh3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hey all, I'm a long time lurker in the forums and a huge fan of the work here. I'm no Linux newbie and have some ARM plus Uboot experience already from hacking some other NAS gadgets.

I have a bricked K3W that was previously jail broken. Two weeks ago it was frozen on the screensaver. After a hard reset it got stuck in an endless reboot cycle. I had about five minutes of usability before the next reboot. In one cycle I was able to navigate to and execute the factory reset option. That killed it. It'll restart on a hard reboot, but then just freeze up and remains that way.

Amazon was kind enough to replace it as it was under warranty but I haven't sent back the bad one yet. I figured I could attempt a recovery of it as a practice run. Is there a more detailed recovery procedure documented? I'm figuring I can use this to flash Yifan Lu's recovery kernel to the device at 0x41000. I should then be able to export mmcblk0p1 and copy a rootfs backup over, correct? Both mmcblk0p2 and mmcblk0p4 should be virgin as the last thing I did was a factory restore.

Does this sound about right? Or should I just flash the good 650MB backup of mmcblk0p1 and assume the standard kernel that's already in mmc is ok?

Is there a Linux version of ATK? I avoid Windows except at work where I have no choice. If not, will ATK work on Win7 or do I need to scavenge a WinXP disc? If I need XP has anyone tried running ATK on XP running in Virtualbox?

I know, I know, I know. I really need to purchase a 1.8v TTL serial/usb cable. Why is the one from FTDI so expensive? I've got five PL-2303 based CA-42 cables that I've re-purposed for my other ARM boxes. It's too bad but they are 3.3v.

Any help will be appreciated, and I don't mind working up a detailed procedure from my experiences.

If this works, I'll need to break the Kindle again. Any suggestions on how to do it? I also should probably flash the original kernel back and restore standard 3.3 before breaking it.

Last edited by kraqh3d; 07-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.
kraqh3d is offline   Reply With Quote