View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #59
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Isn't that the point? IF you want to avoid DRM just buy DRM free books. Problem solved .
Of course, problem NOT solved. What you want is for the authors you want to read to offer their books DRM free. They don't want to do that, for the reasons they (and I ) consider quite valid .
This is a matter of not statutory, but contract, law. When you buy a DRMED book, you agree to abide by the terms and conitions of an agreement with the author, publisher and bookseller. I'm OK with keeping that agreement. Many here are OK with not keeping it.
If I buy a car and read a law that says, "Do not speed", and therefore I don't speed even though I possess the power to, why is it so hard to trust someone who actually paid for a book with a book? (Disclosure, I have never had nor sought a drivers license so I know nothing about driving)

I am very cool with keeping the agreement to not copy and share the wazoo out of books I buy. Most people are. Most people walk by my house without picking the flowers in the garden too.... it's just what people do.

The reason so many people dislike DRM (and use tools to REMOVE DRM) is because of what DRM says to people who already have bought the thing. It's calling non-pirates pirates when they could have just gone and found one of the 500 uploaded copies on some site.

Naturally authors should get their money. That is why a person BUYS a book. My having DRM free books is not preventing authors from getting money.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote