View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
4) I suggest that you do whatever makes sense for you, remembering that the people who read the ebook will be used to 'modern' punctuation. As long as one maintains the author's words and sense I see no harm in simplifying his or her punctuation. For what it is worth I detest mdashes, and never use them.
Although punctuation is, of course, an "editorial" decision, I personally prefer to leave the original punctuation. As has been noted, mid-19th-century punctuation was not exactly the same as modern usage, and having exclamation marks without an upper-case letter following was entirely normal usage for that period.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote