View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Blood romance novel? I am not sure what you are asking? Are there romance novels featuring blood and gore? Yes, paranormal is HOT in the romance market these days. So hot that perennial best seller Nora Roberts (who has sold more books than only one author) recently wrote a trilogy focusing around paranormal aspects. There are some fairly dark romances or at least ones marketed as romances: Jennifer Armintrout's The Turning published by Harlequin was a scary, gory book featuring vampires that are very very bad. (and not in good way but the "I'll rip your heart out and eat it" way).

JR Ward's popular BlackDagger Brotherhood has some pretty violent scenes but I would think that its way too campy in some parts for a true sci fi/fantasy reader.

. . . I am trying to think of other vampiric novels that haven't been completely emasculated by the romance authors . . . Will post more later.

If you were asking me about Patricia Briggs' Hurog duology (dragon bones, dragon blood), this is a story showcasing Wardwick, the eldest son of Hurogmeten. The Hurog is an effective leader but a terrible father. He views Ward as his greatest danger and his greatest failure. Ward senses early on that if he showed even the slightest threat to his father's control that his father wouldn't hesitate to smite him. Ward pretends, for most of his life, to be simple. The problem is that when his father dies, no one in Hurog believes that Ward is a competent ruler. Ward must find a way to prove to his people that he can lead. He must fend off other potential candidates vying for power and to save his land and those around him from a dark magic that is threatening to overtake them all. Have I interested anyone? There is a romantic thread that underpins the end of the first novel and the second part and that is what makes it even more of an attractive story for me.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote