View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Content price wars only rank highly on my radar when the content is easily playable on the device of my choosing. This essentially means a DRM-free, common file standard. (Having to strip the DRM & convert it myself takes the "ease" out of it for me.)

Since this is rarely the case, that's when many other factors come into it for me. Initial buy-in for a device. Is the new device compatible with my existing files? Does that device meet a sufficient amount of my needs/wants? How's customer service? Etc, Etc.

It's part of why I've always been a little leery of the whole content provider/hardware seller configuration. It seems to be where the industry is going, I know. I just prefer more division.

I was going to cite automobiles/gas as an example, but I think the case of someone like Sony is somewhat more apropos. A Sony CD player doesn't just play Sony music. It plays just about any CD from any label. (Never used a Sony ereader, so I don't know how much they carry that model into that arena.)

Instead they seem to be using the razor blade model. Sell them a razor cheap then charge $$ for the special blades needed to fit it.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote