View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
If the screen can at least match the contrast of the Nook then it not having the new Pearl screen isn't a huge loss. Though the new pearl screen is a bit better than the nook, it's not head and shoulders or as remarkable as you may think it is.
Since the press release doesn't actually refer to Pearl, it may not be. But it is 16 gray scale vs 8 in the original version. For me, both the Kobo and Kindle 2 are about equal in black density and readability; the Kindle 3 is is better for sure -- but the Kindle 2 was fine as it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Have any of you seen what the wi-fi is for? Is it strictly for downloading books or can you browse the web?
There doesn't appear to be a web browser ... but there must be some sort of faux keybaord since you need to enter passwords and such for wifi access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am having difficulty understanding why you would buy a Kobo at that price when the K3 or Nook has the same, if not better, features then the Kobo. I can understand it outside of the US, the Nook isn't available and the Kobo is less expensive then the Sony for folks wanting an EPub reader.
Kobo is building a platform -- like Kindle -- as opposed to simply a device. The wifi will allow you to download books, and share bookmarks, across Blackberry, iPhone, Samsung tablet, iPad, Blackberry Playbook, and now your Kobo e-reader as well. This is a plus Sony does not deliver. Connectedness may trump touch screen for some customers. Sony, in fact, does not offer wifi outside of the US; the PRS-650 is the most advanced unit in Canada and it's $100 more for the same size screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I checked the website and it looks like it's only lavender on the quilted back, and the front is still white
Kobo doesn't make white models. They are porcelein.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote