Thread: Which version
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossK View Post
Quote:
What version of Calibre do I have to go back to to find one that works on XP Pro v. 5.1.2600?

The current version works fine on my Win 7 machine, but on my fully updated XP Pro machine it hasn't worked for months.
It always puzzles me when people say a question should be asked better. You have to be an expert to ask questions to suit an expert, but if I were an expert I wouldn't to ask.
The trouble with your question was that it started off with a failed assumption and the only answer that exists for that question is to use the newest version of calibre. With the exception of not supporting MTP, which wasn't even a feature until recently Calibre works great Windows XP Pro. So the trouble you experience is unique to your computer.

Review this FAQ and whenever you see it mention Anti-virus think Anti-malware as well.

Quote:
1. The actual problem is that it will not load anything.
...~~~...
I've used Calibre scores of times over many months with never a problem loading. Then one evening I went to convert the same kind of file from the same folder as always. The "Adding" window with the activity bar popped up with the 0% figure. I got up (as usual) and went about some other matters. When I got back 45 minutes later, the activity still showed 0% and it has acted that way ever since.
Does it load or does it get stuck on a conversion?

Quote:
Calibre will still convert files I had already loaded previously, apparently just fine. But it will not load anything new, even though it is clearly visible both on Calibre and Explorer windows. If I remove anything on the previously loaded list it is gone. It will not reload.
So it does start?

When you have calibre open click the dropdown arrow to the right of the preferences icon and select Restart in debug mode. Now that it is restarted run calibre until it breaks for you, then exit or close calibre and post the resulting text.

You might attempt again at explaining exactly what you do to trigger an error. Are you using the current version of calibre?

Try installing calibre portable, use a completely separate folder. Then copy your library to the calibre portable folder. Run calibre-portable and using the library icon switch to your copied library.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote