Thread: Undecided!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekee View Post

But.. I see people keep saying that they filled up the available space already. It worries me as I have a feeling that I am going to be hording ebooks. But I doubt I would be able to bulk up 1000+ books. Although I said the same about my ipod and my original hard drive.
I have both Kindle 1 and 2. Kindle 1 can use and SD card (I have an 8Gb card and I've seen some mention using 16GB cards). I never filled up my main memory and very little of the SD card. I'm not a big re-reader but I keep all of my books backed up on my computer (those from Amazon and those from elsewhere).

Quote:
So.. I was wondering if it is possible to have ebooks on my external hard drive and keep the bulk on there, but then when I want to transfer the ebooks from there onto the kindle back and forth?
Yes, it's just a drag and drop process. Very easy.

Quote:
Also I'm concerned about how there is a lot of talk about not being able to organize the kindle as well as other ereaders. How so exactly? If I have the files organized well on my hard drive does would it still be a pain to not have them organized on my kindle? I think I'd probably only want to categorize by author or book title, not genre types or favorites. I'm just all around confused.
Kindle 2 has about 1.4GB of storage available to the user. If you put all your books into one folder and the file size is less than 1.4GB, you'll be fine. If it's more, then you'll have to keep some of the books on a computer.

If you only need to sort by title or author, that is a built in sort function on the K2. You can also sort by most recent, so that the books you are currently reading show up at the top of the home page.

On PDF files, there is now a software hack called Savory, which allows PDF and ePub files (without DRM) to be read on the Kindle. It's still in development but so far so good.

I think you'll be very happy with a Kindle 2. Luckily you have 30 days to play with one and if you don't like it you can get your money back.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote