View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #80
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darron View Post
okay, another question. I'm trying to determine how likely it is that having my custom packages installed will break Amazon software updates.

Does an Amazon update only check files it is actually changing, or does it go out of it's way to verify there's not been any tampering?
Looking at the installer of the firmware update, they have a list of files with their intended MD5 checksum.
That those files will actually be updated or just being checked, I dont know.

In practice, the most likely reason for an official update to fail was the text file containing the version number which had been modified and not properly restored.

I rarely say another reason for the upgrade to fail.

If in your install script ; you perform a reboot, prior to the installer getting a chance of restoring the original Amazon signing key ; then our own signing key would still be in place and it will refuse to install the Amazon update.

I've written a package that restore the original Amazon key should this happen.

Quote:
I currently only have a single file I have to change, and I may be able to get around even that. All my additions go in standard Linux directories (/etc/*, /usr/local/*, etc)

If I don't touch any files and make it extremely unlikely to have a filename collusion will I avoid ever conflicting with Amazon updates? Obviously, I mean based on past history. They could change what they do at any point.
IMHO, you are better off creating softlink to the /mnt/us location ; before you write anything, make sure you've checked you aren't overwriting anything .. if the file exists and you have to abort, make sure you revert everything you have done to this point..

At the end of the day, it's not rocket science
Pretty cool idea your stuff, wish you all the best

Jean-Yves
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote