View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
All the Nook products use the Adobe RMSDK for rendering ePubs, btw (not just the devices).
That's as may be, but not only does Nook for PC not render epubs the same as ADE nor the same as the NookColor, but two NookColors, both with the same OS, both with the same settings (Publ. defaults), same fontsize, etc., will render the SAME precise epub file differently. I have screenshots I'd cheerfully send B&N if they had any ACTUAL Tehnical Acct. Manager contact info, (as does Amazon), as opposed to the main "PubIt" support links. (The last email I sent through that, about a client who couldn't get her epub to load, was answered five weeks later. FIVE WEEKS. That's not even an attempt at creating the illusion of publisher support.)

That rendering engine is, IMHO, utterly unreliable. We've converted and produced hundreds of books, in this quarter alone, and I have to test every single one on all platforms, because NOTHING ADE renders the same--not even on identical devices with identical settings. I should be able to love making epubs, for all the obvious reasons--but between Nook's absurd hyphenation "upgrade" and the ADE RMSDk, and iBooks' constant 'tweakage' of how their app works, I now dread it. It's a damned shame.

By the way, here's a hell of a note: I have a client that wants to buy 4,000 (yes, FOUR THOUSAND) devices for their corporate environment; now ask me if anyone at Nook will return a call? Hell, no.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 09-02-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added anecdotal about the 4K devices.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote