View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #894
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
So I either purchase a new ereader, which I really don't want because I don't like any of the readers currently on the market, or I take Garry Lancaster's suggestion of installing eBookApplications firmware. How do I do this? What effect would it have on the reader? Thanks for the suggestions.
Download the PRS-300/505 firmware from here:

http://ebookapplications.com/downloads/

Then just extract the contents of the zip file to the internal memory of the PRS-505. You can also put your preferred fonts into the fonts/ directory that gets created. I prefer Gill Sans, Helvetica Neue or Caecilia; the former looks pretty good in 28pt on the 505.

Whenever you start up the reader (or disconnect it from USB) you'll now get a boot menu allowing you to select from the eBookApplications firmware or the standard Sony firmware. It takes a short while to start the new firmware (with nothing obviously happening).

The changes don't affect the built-in firmware of the PRS-505 at all, and if you don't like it you can just delete the files that were extracted from the zip file, which will remove all trace from your reader.

There are a few rough edges with this software, but it's certainly worth a try to see if you like it.
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote