View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #1457
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Nook GlowLight

I had bought the Nook Simple Touch GlowLight via Amazon Germany.
Unfortunately, it was the UK model without access to the majority (>90%) of my US books.
Someone mentioned the newer and advanced Nook GlowLight, so I've ordered it, directly from the US.
So far, I like it a lot.
Build quality isn't perfect.
I've had even worse quality issues with my Nook HD: Gaps between the frame and the tablet. Same here, but not that obvious. Still: B&N does seem to have quality problems.
Would they use the same color for the frame as for the reader, it would be less obvious. But a grey frame on a white reader makes the gaps clearly visible.
I really don't understand, how such gaps can make them pass the quality process...
Without this aesthetic flaw, design would be great. More stylish than Kobo Aura HD, about equal to Kinde Paperhwhite.
Height of the reader is about the same as Kindle Paperwhite, but it's about 1cm wider.
Unusual format, but strangely appealing.
It seems more "robust" that way.

"Select your Time Zone":
Okay, it's US only.
Still: There are other time zones than the 8 American noses and even US citizens might leave the US from time to time.
Not a biggy, but I hate such inconsiderate nonsense in a global economy...
Later on, in settings, it can be changed to any global setting.

"Choose a Network":
Very good: They show the MAC address directly on this fron page.
I know: MAC filtering easily can be tricked. Still, it's my basic security setting...

Surprising: There's no Micro SD slot. Nook Simple Touch and Simple Touch GlowLight have it. And it's needed, given the reader only has 2GB, like Kindle Paperwhite (not enough as well, to download my entire library).
Strange: The website http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181 says 4GB, but my Device Info only says 2GB Content Storage Available and 508MB "Other Strorage Available" (I guess, firmware and such).

I can't say much about the display quality: Nothing to complain about, even with Paperwhite or Aura HD.

In general:
With the exception of the build quality, it's a great reader.
I prefer the design very much to the ugly Kobo Aura HD.
Because of the build quality, it's slightly behind my Paperwhite, but a close 2nd.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote