View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the often-seen "I'll give you a positive review if you give me one" mutual admiration circles that one not infrequently encounters among self-published authors, bravo Amazon. Absolutely the right thing to do.
RANT:
I have noticed the "i'll give you a good review, you give it to me" pattern not only among self-published authors or on Amazon, but among well known in their field authors as well. If you follow a specific filed - history, history of a certain region, and so on, you might notice that this year some author publishes a book and 2-3 of his colleagues review it favourably in magazines, book covers etc. Then next year one of these "reviewers" publishes a book and gets a very nice review by the author from previous year...and so on...
It's all rather connected and favour based.
Or, the regular author for New Yorker publishes a book and amazingly gets a good review in New Yorker

One of recent examples would be much hyped nonfiction book Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo, married to Sunil Khilnani...The book is ok, nothing spectacular, but they made it sound like a miracle. Two awards, including this year National Book Award for nonfiction...I followed it by coincidence - reviews by New Yorker (for which she writes), Khilani's friends, colleagues he reviewed...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote