View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The NookStudy website was updated sometime this morning. All sections (including the FAQ and help) are now live. You can also download NookStudy here.

I've already tried it, and I am impressed. It still has a few rough edges, but it is one of the best desktop reading apps on the market. I think it's already better than Kindle4PC.

I posted an early review over on The Digital Reader blog.
nice find Nate...

It sort of got me thinking about something. Will it ultimately not be the hardware which decides the winner of the whole ereader device/multi-purpose reader competition but it will be the software/firmware which is the deciding factor? PC's were no different I suppose.

I recently bought my first real reference book to research a single subject. I found that while it viewed fine on my K2i using the new firmware, previously it look like...well....crap, under the old v2.3.x and before firmware. But it still is really a different way to study a subject as well as research. I really have moved into the camp of a two panel device as absolutely needed as well as some real software to help manage the whole reading-study-research trinity. Us users are going to have to adapt to a new way of doing things but at the same time device makers/brands are going to sink a ton more cash into developing the right software/firmware to make it all work in a fashion that does not impede progress and learning.

After my recent purchase I have to say right now I do not want any device, even a DXG, my K2i, iPad or even an Entourage Edge or any other current dual panel reader or large format reader. It's all because the software simply does not feel seamless.

Another thing needed is the ability to work with multiple sources at the same time. That includes the web browser...meaning to become useful these devices have to begin to multi-task in a serious fashion.

I have and use MS OneNote and have used other similar apps and all of them are basically the same though they each have their pros & cons. The one thing is they all work with minimal need to adapt how you study/research to fit the software, in other words the software is at best transparent or at worst initially minimally intrusive but eventually becomes second nature.

What does this mean? I take it to mean that not a single device out today or due out in the next few years is going to be worth a darn to students or as research tools, except to those who, well, just want a fun device even if it actually slows down the process. I know someone out there right now is saying something to the effect that the devices at least reduce the clutter ya need to lug around. Very true...but, the trade off is a very weak platform poorly suited to the task of research/study in their current form.

I say too much marketing is put on making everyone pay attention to the screens...it's misdirection to distract us from the plain truth that right now none of them provide any real improved or even equivalent option as a study/research tool or aid.

Right now, the best option is a Tablet/Slate PC with it's less than adequate battery life and an active digitizer and finger touch interface...and this is because these devices can run the study management apps, reader software and let you view multiple info sources at the same time, or at least flip between them quickly. Maybe in addition to the improved on device firmware/software as well as some dedicated and/or programmable buttons to help with navigation within the current document or switching between other open content.

I guess at least there is a step in the right direction on this software still, until device brands start to spend serious attention on this side of things, for me, readers are never going to be a serious tool. And now circumstances what they are, I doubt I will see one while it still matters to me. I think what so many of use liked about the idea of the MS Courier was it looked like it could scale up to be exactly this sort of device if built around something like OneNote, good web browser and a good reading software...

Last edited by brecklundin; 08-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote