View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionman View Post
Mostly no difference at all...except if there is a glitch somewhere. If you think about it, firstly the computer has to recognize the device, then Calibre has to interact with the device as well. That's a couple of places where things can go wrong...EVERY bit of software has bugs, so by using save to disk I reduce the possibility of file corruption and other nasties....

... Also, recovering from a bad file copy (rare) is just a matter of delete and recopy. Recovering from a something where the software (Calibre/Plugin/Desktop App etc) has caused a system error on the Kobo is not a small matter.

A bad USB port, cable or connector can also promote errors in software function, whereas a simple copy (read/write) will gracefully fail.

I must add that this is not a recommendation for all...just the paranoid

Make sense?

A
Thanks ActionMan, a good explanation, I'll give it a try. I rely so much on calibre that if anything serious did go wrong I'd be up the creek. And I don't fancy mucking around with my kobo either - I'm not techy enough to be able to fix these things.

So this may be a good insurance policy. Thanks
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote