View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
The Importance of Being Ernest (or even someone else)

I've been thinking about the opportunites that have arisen for the indie author in our current turbulent and exciting times, and I wondered what are your takes on the pseudonym in fiction?

I use them myself. My own name I keep for experimental stuff, the kind of fiction I know wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of being published. There i keep my original name and that writing becomes a playground of sorts, where I can let go completely.

But I've written in the past under various psedonyms when I thought the work might be more commercially viable, or if I just want to take a break from myself. In the past the pseudonym was almost a given, especially in the pulp days where practioners such as Max Brand would regularly publish under dozens of different names. Even the mighty Stephen King has done this with his Richard Bachman alter ego.

So my question to you, fellow writers, and readers, what do you think of the pseudonym? Does it put you off the fiction if you know that one author has produced many different works under different names? Do the writer's out there see any benefit to the pseudonym, do you use one yourself or are you considering using one? Do you write in multiple genres (as I have) and use a different pseudonym for each?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote