View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Grad student papers

One reason I asked is that part of my duties include reading papers submitted by graduate students. This is partly an effort to tech them how to quote other material in their own work. Not the practical/technical aspect (though some need that as well) but the fair/just part, i.e. is the quote a fair reflection of the authors intention, does it reflect the author's statement.

Hence, I have to look up the original material and first find the passage, and then read "around" it in order to determine that the quote is "fair". Some of my colleagues take great joy in this endeavor, I prefer to spend my time on other tasks. Thus, a capability to look up quotes in other material would certainly enhance academic productivity. Not everyone will be as enthused as I am.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote