View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Forgive me for the intrusion, but I've been trying to find some more detailed information about the Pocketbook IQ without much success. It's quite possible because I don't know where to look.

I have practically zero experience with tablets and Android run devices, so I need some clarification. When you say it's possible to use apps on the device, what does that mean? Can I for example take notes on it? or use something like OpenOffice to say, calculate grades for my students? or connect it to a projector to illustrate a lesson point? Or am I better off looking at a tablet PC for that? The price of the device would be great for me, not to mention the size - my laptop is just about going to break my back.
I've got Dell Streak, another Android gadget.
I'm using "Quickoffice", which came pre-installed and works fine enough.
On "Google approved units", you directly can access the Android market, similar to the iTunes store.
IQ won't get that approval (no cameras and other gimmicks, Google expects for this smartphone-dominated market), so you have to download the apps from other sources.
No problem, you just download a .apk file, which even can be done on the unit's browser itself.
I don't know about IQ. But Streak offers a docking station, so you can connect to a beamer or TV.
BUT: The resolution is low, the quality is mediocre. No comparison to, let's say, watching a movie via iPhone on TV.
And I'm not sure, whether there will be a docking station or adapter for IQ.

IQ, for an Android unit, is extremely cheap. Usually, Android is on smartphones and this means > € 400.
You'll get exactly what you pay for...

From what you briefly describe, I think IQ is the wrong unit for you.
You don't even mention eBooks, which is it's core purpose.
Your description clearly points towards netbook/sub-notebook - and I guess you'll be way more comfortable with such...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote