View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I don't think anyone here is disputing the value of a dedicated reader -- Jeter professes his love for his Kindle in the very first post. It's not about our conforming to a reductive future but rather guessing what the future will do with or without us.

I think it's likely that eInk might linger for another few years, but not with the same level of focus on advancing the tech.

I still have a fifteen-year-old ADAT recorder at home and a clasic Neve EQ module that was decades old when I bought it. That doesn't mean a significant market share cares about using those pieces of old and specialized tech. Or perhaps some smaller or niche companies will pick up where Sony, Amazon and B&N leave off. We'll all become eInk purists, the tech-reading equivalent of audiophiles or people who hoard old typewriters, minidiscs, Stax headspeakers or two-inch reel-to-reels.

If we're lucky, someone will start a reader specialty repair site that changes internal batteries and replaces cracked Pearl screens: Vintage e-Ink.

Even so, Diap, I'm secretly hoping you're right. I really wanted a Mirasol reader with a fast processor and a switchable backlight. Kill me with cool variables, Korea!

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-02-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote