View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #11
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiasmama View Post
I have a book out from the library. How can I return it early? I suppose once it is on my reader then I don't have to worry about returning it. I assume it will just lock or something after the borrow period. So what do I have to do to return the book? Thanks
Start Adobe Digital Editions. Put your mouse over the book cover, then look for a triangle button, near/above the left corner of the cover. Bring your mouse over to this button, which then causes a balloon to appear (Item Options). Left click this. One of the options is to return a book. It will no longer be available on your reading list. (Make sure you delete the file from you My Digital Editions folder). This is a perfectly logical feature to implement. If a person were borrowing a paper book from the library, there is no restriction on early returns. Why impose this on e-borrowers?

Now, as stated in my original thread, there is a lockout which is imposed for borrowing X ebooks in Y days. This makes more sense, as it evens out the bandwidth and costs to the library. I never suggested using Overdrive like Netflix, as one individual has mentioned. If one ignores the humorous paragraphs in the first thread, the flaw in the Overdrive lending system is the fact that they never anticipated this much usage or early adoption. Someone built a highway, and then they realized they had to build another highway, but did not budget for it. The library offers a public service, paid for by tax dollars. In my state, my annual income tax bill is over 5 figures. I also pay taxes in every state where I work or live, just as Kobe Bryant does. The library is one of the few institutions where I feel my money is being spent properly. As we move toward the future, there will come a point in time where more books are borrowed in ebook form than pbook form. Is anyone planning ahead? I hope they are.

Last edited by Fat Abe; 09-06-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Clarify instructions
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote