View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Original and Kobo Touch
Question Page Formatting Problem?

Hi!

First I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted really informative threads here, you guys have been a lifesaver to a non-techie kobo owner! I'm not sure how well I'll be able to explain my current issue, so please bear with me!

I've figured out how to get around the whole font-size issue by editing the .css style sheet, but I'm still having a lot of problems with other formatting issues when I convert other file types to epubs using caliber.

I have a number of books that I downloaded as .txt files (obviously from sites other then the kobo store) which I converted into epubs using caliber. The .txt files are formatted alright when I read them on my computer (left justified, with dialogue spaced properly on different lines), however when I convert them into epubs I get this unreadable block of text. There are paragraph breaks between the chapters but no breaks for dialogue

Original (example):
"You'll never take my kobo from me!", she cried.
"Muwahahaha your e-reader is mine!"
They struggle, blah blah blah. She emerges victorious.
"Teach you to get between a book-geek and her e-reader!"

What I end up with as an epub after conversion in caliber:
"You'll never take my kobo from me!", she cried."Muwahahaha your e-reader is mine!"They struggled, blah blah blah. She emerges victorious."Teach you to get between a book-geek and her e-reader!"

In the caliber conversion box under "TXT Input" I checked the "conserve spaces" box which did conserve the dialogue formatting (new line for different speakers). However when viewing the converted epubs on my computer the lines of text were very long necessitating scrolling back and forth to see everything, and when I transferred the file to my kobo the formatting is correct except that the long lines are simply cut off entirely.

If anyone knows how I can fix this I'd really appreciate it! I've got a ton of good books as .txt files and no way to read them without driving myself crazy!

Thanks in advance!
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote