View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #67
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
I gave an example how it could be markupped without an "extra class", just with em. And I explained, why I think, that it's the better markup for that purpose.

When it's true, that many devices cannot interprete a simple descendant selector like "h1 em" than I would suggest an
<h1>Chapter <em class="chapter-number">3</h1>

But may be I missunderstood you.
I meant that by introducing <em> you are implying that the text is emphasised which may not be the case; you simply do not know without reading the book. Using <span class="number"> it is possible that the style is { font-szie:0.75em; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; color:#cccccc } which is not emphasis.

So whilst introducing extra tags could allow contextual styling, it would need to be done with care.

Imagine an ePub reader which had the option to read the book out loud - introducing your <em> tag in place of <span> would cause the reading voice to emphasise the word.

You would therefore need to understand the book's stylesheet/s before making structural changes to the xhtml files and this would be quite difficult for a simple plugin.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote