View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Harry, I think you are probably right, although it depends on the reader of course. Certainly Kobo has chosen to override a 'body' choice; I'm not sure what my new Sony T1 does yet.
In my opinion, having the publisher force a font choice on the user removes one of the nicer features of ebooks. I think the user, not the publisher and not the ereader maker, should have the choice of body font. I'm a hopeless idealist.
Kobo has created a serious bug and they refuse to fix it. Most publishers and people who create ePub with embedded fonts use the body style to put the main font-family declaration. That won't work on any Kobo eink reader and it's a bug they've been told about and refuse to fix. Kobo users are likely to get a lesser reading experience when the ePub has an embedded font.

The new Star Wars eBooks all have an embedded font and yet Kobo will not display it at all.

As for forcing, it's not forcing a font on the user.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote