View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
LOTR ebook erratum and ebook quality

I’ve been reading The Lord of the Rings in EPUB format. I began noticing the various errors in the text and noting them down, in the hope of shaming the publisher and pushing for at least some proofreading before selling ebooks. In my opinion, we should have them 'upgraded' for free.
I’ve maintained a list of things I’ve noticed; if you notice any more than I have, please feel free to add to the list!
Note some are formatting, some are typos and some are extra characters..

Page 14: Also in The War of the Ring,Christopher Tolkien reproduces a page from the first manuscript of the chapter ‘The Taming of Smeagol’, and the printed text corresponding to this text is on the facing page (see pp. 90-91).
Page 14: that Tolkien at one point considered a romance between Aragorn and É that Tolkien wrote an epilogue to the book, tying up loose ends, but it was dropped before publication (and now appears in Sauron Defeated); and so on.
Page 573: ‘Westu Théoden hál!’, cried émer.
Page 574: “Go, H!, and seek my own sword!”
Page 579: She is fearless and high-ɣhearted.
Page 581: ‘I will forget my wrath for a while, éomer son of Éomund,’ said Gimli;
Page 581: ‘Were the breath of the West Wind to take a body visible, even so would it appear,’ said éomer, as the great horse ran up, until he stood before the wizard.
Page 581: Here now I name my guest, Gandalf Greyhame, wisest of counsel lors, most welcome of wanderers, a lord of the Mark, a chieftain of the Eorlingas while our kin shall last;
Page 620: ‘I am Strider and Dúna-dan too, and I belong both to Gondor and the North.’
Page 624: Treebeard put us down, and went up to the gates, and began ham mering on the doors, and calling for Saruman.
Page 705: ‘Smeagol,’ he said, ‘I will trust you once more.
Page 706: ‘Yes, yes, master!’ said Gollum. ‘Dreadful danger! Smeagol's bones shake to think of it, but he doesn't run away. He must help nice master.’
Page 710: The ‘escape’ may have been allowed or arranged, and well knownin the Dark Tower.
Page 783: It took his hand, and as Frodo watched with his mind, not willing it but in suspense (as if he looked on some old story far away,
[series of spaces]
it moved the hand inch by inch towards the chain upon his neck.
Page 795: Gollum's eyes glinted. ‘He doesn't know what we minds, does he, precious? No, he doesn't. But Smeagol can bear things. Yes. He's been through. Oh yes, right through. It's the only way.’
Page 877: The Firienfeld men called it, a green mountain-field of grass and heath, high above the deep-delved courses of the Snowbourn, laid upon the lap of the great mountains behind: the Starkhorn southwards, and northwards the saw-toothed mass of írensaga, between which there faced the riders, the grim black wall of the Dwimorberg, the Haunted Mountain rising out of steep slopes of sombre pines.

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-22-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: adding pg14, pg 705, pg706, pg 795; addion of page 877; highlighting as requested; page 783 also has CR as shown..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote