View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #27
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Click on the second link on the page (after the "make sure you install" blurb, is the one that says "and then click here...", more or less).

Thaat will then try to download the .acsm file - I had to tell IE to allow popups, then tell it to download the file (in the upper bar that shows when IE is being obnoxious about security). Try right--click and save as, if that doesn't work (since I can't remember where you undo the automatic actions for this file type). Save the file somewhere you can find. Then "open" or "run" it - at that point I had no problems at all and the book downloaded (slowly).

I'd also try setting your internet settings very, very low (and turn off any firewall/blocking software). Open up just the one web page, get the file, then put all your settings back the way they belong.

FWIW, I found that these work a lot better now that I disabled the association with .ACSM that Sony set up. Now I am prompted to save the file and I then re-associated the open with ADE. At least if I get an error message, I can see what it is (Sony just reports an error, but gives no details at all).
thanks for this very detailed explanation. i deleted all file associations for acsm files and made sure my browser was set to ask for any downloads. but i get the feeling i'm not actually going to the same page as everyone else. in the mail, i got this link : http://www.bibliovault.org/cgi-bin/D...sePCnuyyXCgXC_

which takes me to this page :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Piracy1.png
Views:	154
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	44759

i click on the giant adobe button (which is a flash animation, so no way to right click / save as). ADE opens, then firefox (or chrome, or ie, or opera...) tries to load a new page, and i get this error :
Click image for larger version

Name:	Piracy2.png
Views:	162
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	44760

in other words, i get an error instead of / before downloading the acsm file.

never mind. a kind soul has provided me with the book, and i am just going to write off the University of Chicago as a bad job. i'm tempted to send them a little email pointing out the irony of their use of drm resulting in my "piracy" of a book about piracy, but i'm not sure i feel like expending any more energy on the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm using Firefox, and I think I have it set to always ask whether to "save as" or "open with".
me too, and me too. gaa, whatever, University of Chicago ! i'm officially giving up now.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote