Thread: Sigil v0.1.5
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #47
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
More on Speed on Mac vs Windows

Hi,

FYI, I have access to Parallels Desktop for Mac OSX (a virtual machine) and I have Windows XP installed on it and installed Sigil for Windows.

I was able to load and manipulate the exact same large book in Sigil on Mac OS X side by side on the same machine with Sigil for Windows.

Even though Sigil for Windows was running in a virtual machine in a window on MacOSX, it was much much faster than how it operates on MacOSX natively.

The search and replace in Book view seemed to work much better under Windows (but after almost every change after a search or even simply hitting the chapter break button, the search start point even though I used Find Next reverted to the top of the file). Searching simply freaked things out on the Mac OSX native side.

The ToC wait was much shorter under Windows emulation and even manipulating the Book View window itself was much faster under Windows emulation.

In short, I would be better off running it under a virtual machine with its overhead than directly on the Mac itself.

This is strange. What compiler optimizations are being used for the Mac OSX build (-O2 ?) Are the binaries and executables being stripped to speed loading? Are the Qt libraries made with the same compiler optimizations?

Anyway, thought you would like to know that the speed issue seems to be Mac OS X specific.

If you want I can set up a build system under Mac OSX using gcc and do a build and see if I can see anything particularly weird going on.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote