View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I have to say something in favour of PDF. There is something PDF allows and most of other formats (if any) don't, and that is typographic quality. With the appropiate tools (like LaTeX, or InDesign), one can create PDFs of high typographic quality, and by that I mean a good selection of fonts, good kerning and spacing, ligatures, good paragraph shaping, uniform page "colour"... not to mention the possibility of complex formatting, margin notes, frames, headers, graphs, etc. Some of this is maybe not useful for just plain fiction books, and most people probably don't know/care about the typography, but I certainly prefer to read a page that looks like a printed book instead of like a notepad.exe screenshot.
Actually Kerning and other such features is, IMHO, the thing that makes full justification reasonable. Without this balance I prefer left justified text. All the extra spaces between words just to justify detracts from the looks of the page and gets in the way of the reading. Hopefully high typographic quality will become a priority in some future eBook readers. There is no reason it should be the sole domain of PDF. I hate the spacing rivers that appear in fully justified text.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote