View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
wakawakawaka
wakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beautywakawakawaka does all things with Zen-like beauty

Successful DX Demo un-demo'd and a few Q's

Hey Folks,
Been lurking for a while - short story, had a DR1000, then a Kindle3w, that died (broken screen) - always wanted a DX to replace the DR1000 in size, found a demo, took a chance I'd be able to un-demo it with info here. Turns out YAY.

A quick rundown of what I did for my own benefit and maybe others:
(note, I had a hard time sorting through all the various write-ups, in retrospect I think this is the closest one to what worked for me: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=25)
The full steps:
I had obtained a 3.2.1 rootfs.img from somewhere in the ether, unpacked via Yifan Lu's KindleTools

On windows w/ USB connected to Kindle on, in demo mode:
Ran Sir Alex's Kindle Diagnostic Tool to recover fiona**** password.

Disconnected USB when fully charged.

In Linux, connected via modified PL2303HXA serial adapter (modified to take 1.8V on VDD_325 pin):
sudo minicom -s
set /dev/ttyUSB0 to 115200, 8n1, no flow control (hw nor sw)
hold down power switch for 15s
watch boot-up
hit ENTER when prompted for recovery console
3 ENTER
I left minicom running and open on this screen - there are two options, Done or Reboot and a spinning cursor - I left it alone
Plug in USB to linux
New terminal, find drive, if automounted, unmount, in my case was /dev/sdb1 (approx 400MB)
umount /dev/sdb1
dd if=/path/to/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M
117s later I was done.
Choose reboot

Interestingly, first reboot I had a lot of errors on the console, BUT it came up with 3.2.1!!!!
Rebooted to be sure, and fewer errors (I think a lot were logfile creations or similar). Was able to run jailbreak(pretty sure it was already jailbroken, as failed with U007), fonts, python, screensaver hacks. All seem to work. Registered, 3G working (I'm in US). Happy days are here again.

OK - now for the questions. I have 3 wires soldered to the back of my kindle. I have a working happy 3.2.1 filesystem and some kernel? Any reason to keep those wires? What am I likely to need them for in the near future? Any reason to upgrade past 3.2.1?

Finally, MUCH thanks to everyone who's gone before me here. Especially GeekMaster, yifanlu, stranger_st, stangri, twobob, knc1, begemot, megacoupe, lots of confusing stuff in there but some elucidation too.
wakawakawaka is offline   Reply With Quote