View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Suggested H/W Upgrade to Sony PRS-505

I love my PRS-505, but would like to see a few small changes to the hardware. It seems that every time one is needed in Sci-Fi, a little computer shows up with every book ever written on it, and the ability to answer any question, or to teach any skill. I think we're 90% of the way there, but there needs to be one connector added to the PRS-505 to make it a reality:

1. Give me an (unpowered) USB OTG host connection on the back, so I can plug devices into it.

2. Add in a power jack (for power from an external source to charge the PRS-505) next to the USDB connection. (There's no way the PRS-505's battery can power anything over USB.)

3. Add in a physical way to attach an expansion module to the back of the PRS-505.

4. Move the reset hole so it's not completely covered by the expansion module.

5. Code drivers to work with USB input devices, mass storage devices, and maybe a wi-fi, irda, or blue tooth device.

What could we have as an expansion module?

I. A massive SSD to hold every book ever published. Add in a battery to power the SSD, and it would work. 1.6TB 3.5" SSDs have been announced, and the density of lithium batteries is amazing, especially since a full charge on the reader will probably only allow us to read a few hundred MB (at most!) I would save power on the SSD by including something like a SD card that would store the table of contents / FAT / inodes / whatever. Then, the SSD (which would pull much more power than a SD card) would only power up to copy files.

II. General purpose expansion: a USB hub, and card reader for cards not supported by the PRS-505, like original Sony Memory Sticks, CF cards, etc. Again, add in a battery to power the module, and it would work.

III. A flip-down keyboard would let me navigate & search. A Wi-Fi card would allow me to surf the web. Again, add in a battery to power the module, and it would work.

The expansion module would have a plug to charge it on the bottom, and would take the same cable as the PRS-505 for charging.

One last thing, I've been hacking cases, and have one that mounts my PRS-505 on the left, with a note pad on the right. It also holds a few spare memory cards, a pen, and a USB cable. It works very well. If it had flexible solar cells on the back, it would be perfect. I just cann't get the amps needed on the flexible solar cells to charge the PRS-505 yet.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote