View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
I don't know if it helped shape me, but it two things come to my mind.

As a child, before I could read, my mother read Agatha Christie to me - I guess she didn't want to spend time reading books she didn't enjoy. I still enjoy Poirot - and by extension Sherlock Holmes. I get a kick out of how much Christie pokes fun at Holmes.

I always enjoyed reading, but never liked the books we were 'forced' to read in high school. The notable exception is "Pride and Prejudice." I love that book to this day, and am actually reading it right now. I don't know that it shaped me, but it brings me great comfort. The characters take their problems so seriously, and by today's standards they are such minor problems - it helps me keep a little perspective. I read it at least once a year, and always manage to appreciate new subtleties.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote