View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
...but their use cases do not overlap completely. They can coexist easily.
(Unless, of course, E Ink decides that the margin on ereader screens is too low and switches off production. However, if this happens the cause will not be that the technology has become obsolete.)
I may not have made my point clear.

Whether eReaders can be considered transitory depends on whether you're looking at it from the point of view of multi-functional devices vs dedicated devices, or from one of technology, quality of display/motion of LCD vs outdoor usage/low power of eInk.

In the case of multi-function vs single, then yes they can easily overlap, some people want a single dedicated device for a task even if a multi functional device could offer the same display in which case dedicated readers are not transitory, some people will always want one.

In the case of those who buy because of the display though (be it outdoor reading or they find it easier on the eyes) yet would love a multi-functional device if it offered the best of both display wise, then the technology is imo transitory. LCDs are terrible outside, eInk is terrible at motion and the full quality colour display you get with LCD. Hence both technologies could be considered transitory should a way be found to offer the same quality as LCD provides but with the same outdoor readability and low power of eInk.

I was referring more to the technology side as the original post says "E-ink readers..." rather than dedicated vs multi-functional readers, which I believe (could be wrong) most people buy because of the display technology been seen as easier on their eyes or can be used outside or doesn't need charging as often. I know some buy because they want a dedicated device, but in that case the display tech isn't the issue (if a hybrid display becomes a reality) they'd still buy a single use device. Where as for those who say the display is the reason for buying, a hybrid screen on a multi functional device would suit them just as well, which would make both LCD and eInk transitory.

tl;dr

Are dedicated eReaders transitional tech? No. Some people will always want a single use device for reading imo.

Are eInk readers transitional (dedicated or multi-use)? Yes. But so are LCD based devices. Both would eventually be replaced if a hybrid display tech becomes available that offers the quality of LCD and the outdoor usage/low power of eink. Until then though, both will co-exist.

Last edited by JoeD; 10-29-2012 at 01:46 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote